With the innovative BMW Digital Key, drivers can lock, unlock, and start their BMW when carrying the physical key feels too cumbersome. Drivers may also share the Digital Key with trusted friends and family members via their Connected App username. The Digital Key is available as a sleek, black keycard, and can also be paired with a compatible Android™ smartphone. Follow along and let the experts at Edmonton BMW explain how to activate your Digital Key for use, and explore even more information on how to use the BMW Digital Key.
Things You’ll Need Before Activation
- Your physical vehicle keyfob inside your vehicle (just once for activation purposes)
- The BMW Digital Keycard or a compatible Android™ smartphone
- The BMW Connected App (if you’re activating your digital key with a smartphone)
- Place your keycard or smartphone in the wireless charging tray inside your BMW model, the digital key will be recognized.
- Select “activate digital key” on the iDrive screen.
- Your digital key is now ready! You can start your BMW by pressing the start/stop button.
Removing Digital Key
The BMW digital key menu in which you can activate, deactivate or remove digital keys can be found via Car>Settings>Doors/Vehicle Access>BMW Digital Key. Not everyone can activate or deactivate digital keys, however. The physical key must be with you, or an active digital key belonging to the vehicle owner must be slotted in the wireless charging tray. To remove the digital key, select the digital key on the iDrive screen and choose the “remove Digital Key” option.
If you have other questions about the BMW Digital Key or any other cutting-edge BMW technology, contact the experts at Edmonton BMW. Explore other BMW connective, safety, and engine technologies. You can also visit our dealership on Roper Road to see our inventory with your own eyes.