BMW technology is always pushing boundaries and striving for excellence, with the all-new innovative driving assistance feature BMW Reverse Assistant yet another way they continue making the BMW driving experience world-class. Imagine that you’re driving down a winding one-way country road and hit a dead end, or maneuvering through a tight car park with poor sightlines and need to reverse in a pinch. Situations like these can be unnerving; however, not with BMW Reverse Assistant at your side. Utilize the precision of the Reverse Assistant to avoid unwanted stress and potential damage to your BMW. Follow along with the experts at Edmonton BMW, as we instruct you on how to use the BMW Reverse Assistant.
Reverse Assistant Activation
- When driving forward and not exceeding 36km/hr, the last 50 meters of the road are saved to your BMW’s hard drive.
- Ensure that the road that needs to be reversed upon is at least 30 centimeters wider than the vehicle.
- Press the Park Assistant button, or simply engage your reverse gear to switch on the park assistant menu.
- Activate the Reversing Assistant that lights up in the top right hand corner of the iDrive screen.
Let Your Co-Pilot Guide You
Once activated, the Reverse Assistant system will take over the steering with pinpoint precision. As the driver, your responsibility is to accelerate and brake appropriately as your BMW follows along the saved stretch of road. If you accelerate too quickly, an audible signal will sound, prompting the driver to slow down.
Reverse Assistant Tips
- Once you near the end of the saved stretch of road, a signal will sound on the iDrive screen, and the green lights on your wheel will start to pulsate before turning red. A message will display on the iDrive screen prompting the driver to take over control of the BMW.
- If you change gear, travel over 36km/hr, or take over the steering wheel while the Reverse Assistant is operating, you will take back manual control of your BMW.
- Input in is only as good as input out. Your BMW Reverse Assistant remembers the exact movements travelled, so if those forward movements involved curb collision, or any sort of unwanted maneuver, be wary of using the Reverse Assistant and avoid making the same mistake twice.
For more information on innovative BMW technology, like the Reverse Assistant, contact the experts at Edmonton BMW. Discover more BMW technology, from connective, safety, engine and more. Research BMW’s full model lineup, or visit your local BMW dealership on Roper Road to see our inventory in person.