For all the Edmontonians that weren’t lucky enough to get away for the first couple of weeks of 2020, the cold snap that hit the city was a stark reminder of the extreme temperatures faced by all Albertans. Of course, extreme cold isn’t the only weather condition; with hot summer days turning even the most luxurious BMW interiors into saunas on wheels. Luckily, BMW has the solution to solving this problem: enter BMW Remote Engine Start, a way in which you can start and stop your BMW as well as adjust the cabin temperature. Read on as the team from Edmonton BMW—who knows a thing or two about inclement weather—breaks down how BMW Remote Engine Start works, and how it can help!
How Does BMW Remote Engine Start Work?
Using your BMW key fob, Remote Engine Start does exactly what the name implies—it starts your engine remotely. While your key fob has a number of functions meant for convenience, this one is perhaps the most practical for Alberta drivers (and easy to use, too).
An important first step to unlocking this system, is to activate the Remote Engine Start function in your BMW vehicle’s iDrive system. To do so, follow these steps:
- Go to Car > Settings > Climate Comfort.
- Select Preconditioning/ventilation from the sub-menu.
- The Remote Engine Start option will appear on your screen. You may be asked to consult local idling laws, before having the option to activate the function.
- Activate the Remote Engine Start function, and enjoy a toasty cabin come winter, or a pre-air conditioned ride in the warmer summer months.
How to Start Your BMW with Remote Engine Start
Do your best to avoid the sweaty highs and bone-chilling lows of the fickle Albertan weather system, thanks to your BMW Remote Engine Start system. With three ways to activate it, and start your engine from the comfort of your home, office, or wherever you may be:
- Use your BMW key fob. Simply click the Lock button quickly three times to start your BMW, or another three times to turn the engine off.
- Use the BMW ConnectedDrive app. Open up the Remote Engine Start function in the app, and you’ll be able to both start and stop your BMW, as well as adjust the in-cabin climate.
- Finally, you can use the BMW DisplayKey. Simply find the preconditioning or Remote Engine Start function, and use the button to start the engine.
While your BMW vehicle will turn itself off after approximately 20 minutes, the reality is the cabin of your BMW vehicle should be appropriately heated or cooled in only 5 to 10 minutes, and the engine itself will be ready to go in that time as well. Avoid the cold this winter (or, the heat in the summer) thanks to the BMW Remote Engine Start system. You can learn how to take advantage of your BMW and its many features thanks to the posts on our blog, or you can check out our website for more information on the advanced technology found within your BMW. If you don’t own a BMW, or are looking to upgrade, you’ll also find information on all of our models, how they stack up against the competition, and how we can make financing a new BMW a breeze. If you still have any unanswered questions, or just want to take a brand-new BMW for a test drive, feel free to give us a call and we’d be happy to help.